A new Canada Healthy Communities Initiative
Applications for this grant stream are now closed.
Round 2 of this grant stream will open on May 14, 2021, with the submission deadline of June 25, 2021.
COVID-19 has seriously impacted our access to and use of public spaces, which are the glue of our communities. They are a big part of what makes communities safe, vibrant and connected. The Canada Healthy Communities Initiative is a $31 million investment from the Government of Canada to support organizations in Toronto, York Region, and Durham Region as they create and adapt public spaces to respond to the new realities of COVID-19. We are proud to be working with Community Foundations of Canada and the Government of Canada and Durham Community Foundation to provide $2,088,820 of funding to support organizations that are showing creativity and resourcefulness in creating solutions that enable people to connect and access public spaces safely while still respecting public health measures.
A broad range of organizations including local governments, charities, Indigenous communities and nonprofits are all welcome to apply for funding. Funding can be used for adapting public spaces, or for programming or services that respond to COVID-19 and serve the public or a community disproportionately impacted by COVID-19. Projects funded as part of the Canada Healthy Communities Initiative will:
- respond to identified needs arising from impacts of COVID-19;
- create and adapt public spaces, and programming and services for public spaces in the public interest;
- demonstrate consideration of and connections with the community;
- serve and be accessible to the public and/or a community disproportionately impacted by COVID-19; and
- fall within the three Canada Healthy Communities Initiative theme areas.
Examples of eligible projects include pop-up bike paths, community gardens, art installations or Wi-Fi hot spots. For any additional questions please email email@example.com.